Friday, November 22, 2013

Golf swing myths

Below are what I consider to be the biggest myths in golf. 

First, you need to swing like a tour pro. While tour professionals make excellent models, frankly you can't move like a tour pro! If your instructor is not assessing your natural movement patterns and designing your swing based on how you naturally move, you may want to find another instructor! We all talk differently we all walk differently we all move differently and I believe we should all swing differently! For instance fast hips need strong grips. If you consistently carry an eight iron over 150 yards, chances are you have fast hips and need a different grip than somebody that can hit an eight iron 80 yards. 

Second myth in golf is "keep your head down." As an instructor this goes right up there with the guy that offers you your first cigarette. This may be the worst advice I hear from golfer golfer.

Go ahead and try to keep your head down throughout your whole swing and see if you can hit it. Well I agree that your head should be study you need to figure out where and how you position your weight at address and whether you swing around your right hip your left hip or your tailbone. Once you determine that, then you can position your head for more consistent results and maintain that until follow-through. we defined follow-through where both arms become straight. Then your head should be pulled up and through into your finish.  You really do want to watch those good shots fly high into the sky!

The other myth I see most often is breaking the golf swing into different stations. You need to remember the golf swing takes two seconds to complete. As a guy, I'm lucky to be able to have one swing thought let alone two. Ladies on the other hand ... typically have a different processing rate and are able to manage hundred different thoughts within that two seconds, at least that's the way that I feel when my wife is giving me her honey do list...

Another myth about the grip is you should hold the golf club like a bird. While I agree that firm fingers and flexible wrist is crucial to developing a consistent, in tempo golf swing, faster swing tempos need firmer grips while slower swing tempos need softer grips. 

Another myth is that golfers can buy equipment off the rack and play to the best of their abilities. To me this is like having a random medical dispenser that you pop a quarter into hoping you get the right medication. Or wearing the same size shoe as your six-foot nine or 4 foot nine brother-in-law. It's really no different than price getting your clubs custom fit these days. The right shaft type either graphite or steal along with length, lie angle, set make-up has a huge impact in developing your golf swing and game. 


Your comments and recommendations for future blog posts are greatly appreciated. Enter to book your lesson with a Golf Improvement Group instructor visit GolfLessonsMinneapolis.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment